Business Efficiency Tips
Saving money and energy comfortably in the workplace
You can make a difference in your bottom line with these 15 tips:
1. Use a programmable thermostat and set it at 68°F in the winter and 78°F in the summer when the building is occupied. Adjust the temperature by a few degrees after hours.
2. Keep shades and blinds closed during the hottest part of the day in the summer.
3. Inspect control schedules to heat only sections of the building as needed.
4. Rewire restroom fans to operate with the lights.
5. Service your HVAC system twice a year.
6. Clean or replace HVAC filters once a month.
7. Replace incandescent light bulbs with compact fluorescent lamps and LEDs. Access our Business Solutions Toolkit lighting calculator for help.
8. Turn off all non-security lighting after hours.
9. Turn off lights near windows when daylight is adequate.
10. Use LED exit signs.
11. Install occupancy sensors.
12. Turn off computers, monitors, printers and copiers after hours. Consider assigning someone to make sure equipment is turned off at the end of the work day.
13. Buy ENERGY STAR® qualified office equipment and computers with low-power settings.
14. Replace old motors with high-efficiency motors. Access our Business Solutions Toolkit motor calculator for help.
15. Consider adjustable speed drives.
Visit our Business Solutions Toolkit library for detailed information on these and more ways to save in your business.