USDA Rural Energy for America Program

The USDA’s Rural Energy for America Program, or REAP, provides grants totaling up to 25% of a project’s costs, and loan guarantees for up to 75% of a project’s costs. Eligible projects cover a range of energy efficiency and renewable energy technologies including energy efficient lighting and irrigation system upgrades to wind, solar, geothermal, small hydro and biomass energy projects across rural America.

REAP applicants must be a rural business or an agricultural producer as defined by the program. Funds are not available for residential projects. To obtain REAP funding; applicants can apply to the USDA REAP coordinator in their state. Applicants can also contact their local REAP coordinator to identify consultants who can assist them with the application. REAP funding is awarded on an annual basis with application deadlines varying by state.

2013 grants announced

August 15, 2013 – Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack today announced funding for 631 projects across the nation that will help agricultural producers and rural small businesses reduce their energy consumption and costs, use renewable energy technologies in their operations and/or conduct feasibility studies for renewable energy projects. Grant and loan funding is made available through the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Rural Energy for America Program (REAP), which is authorized by the 2008 Farm Bill. More

To help you better understand and apply for this funding, we've prepared a detailed application guide. Review the guide using the links below or check with the USDA contact for REAP in your state.

Detailed application guide for Oregon, Washington and Idaho

USDA contacts for REAP

Steven Scott Nicholls
USDA Rural Development
430 G Street, #4169
Davis, CA 95616
(530) 792-5805

Don Hollis
USDA Rural Development
1229 SE Third Street, Suite A
Pendleton, OR 97801–4198
(541) 278–8049, Ext. 129

Mary Traxler
USDA Rural Development
1835 Black Lake Blvd., SW., Suite B
Olympia, WA 98512
(360) 704–7762

Customer Service

Customer Service

Customer service

Report a power outage

Report a streetlight outage