Our Environmental Commitment
Protecting and enhancing the environment is a core principle for Pacific Power. While providing safe, reliable electric service to our customers, we strive to be good stewards by conserving natural resources, developing innovative solutions, growing renewable resources, reducing emissions, protecting habitats and more.
We committed to the American Business Act on Climate Pledge in July 2015 as another step on our path to a cleaner energy future.
We employ innovative air quality initiatives to reduce environmental impacts. With our primary focus on reducing or avoiding emissions, we continuously develop and implement strategies to improve our performance. In 2014, we began exploring new technologies to capture carbon and other emissions from our power plants.
Wildlife & Habitat Protection
Protecting wildlife habitat is central to our goal of protecting the environment. We focus on preserving forests, grasslands and wetlands; reducing hydroelectric facilities’ impact on fish and wildlife; and implementing avian protection plans. We also use land reclamation techniques to restore habitat after dam removal and when completing mining operations.
Saving energy conserves natural resources, reduces emissions and keeps electricity costs low. Together with our Pacific Power customers in 2015, we saved nearly 276,543 megawatt-hours of electricity. Pacific Power provides customers with wattsmart energy-saving information and programs. These measures help customers save money and benefit the environment. Learn more about wattsmart programs »
Wind, hydro and geothermal resources currently make up more than 19 percent of our generating capacity. We own 13 wind projects and purchase additional wind and solar resources. The American Wind Energy Association named our company the second largest rate-regulated utility owner of wind resources in the nation.
To support renewable resources, Pacific Power has:
- Made renewable resources a key component of our Integrated Resource Plan – We will add more than 1,100 megawatts of incremental solar and wind capacity through long-term power purchase agreements to our 1,030 megawatts of owned wind capacity.
Wind Resources Map
Solar Resources Map
- Grown our Blue Sky renewable energy program – Our voluntary Blue SkySM program is a way for customers to support renewable energy in the western region. More than 106,600 customers participate in the program.
Sign up for Blue Sky »
- Advanced regional coordination – We partnered to create the Energy Imbalance Market, which is delivering lower cost, reliable electricity to customers while capturing the maximum value from renewable resources.
- Invested in transmission lines – Energy Gateway and other transmission projects are helping add renewable energy to the grid.
- Supported Oregon clean energy law – We worked together with utility, advocacy and community groups on the Clean Electricity and Coal Transition Law. The law phases out coal from state rates by 2030 and increases the state's renewable portfolio standard to 50 percent by 2040.
Smart Solutions Save Paper and Resources
Paperless billing & reusable envelopes
With 31 percent of our customers choosing paperless billing, we are saving nearly 267,000 pounds of paper each year. We also introduced a two-in-one, reusable envelope for customers who prefer a paper bill. Sign up for paperless billing »
Statement printing process
Your bill statements are now printed using waterless dyes, waxes and resins. This process is certified to have at least 30 percent natural, renewable material content and needs no printer cartridges, which means up to 90 percent less waste and 30 less energy than comparable printers. Learn more »