Make your rental properties more energy efficient and tenants will be more comfortable, experience lower electric bills and may be less likely to move.
Reduced turnover lets you avoid loss of rental income and the hassle of finding new qualified tenants. Energy efficiency improvements can save you time and money too.
Our Landlord Interim Billing or Landlord Link services make participation in our incentive programs easier. It's free and only takes a few minutes to enroll.
Simple things you can do to save energy
Heating & Cooling
- Replace forced air system filters regularly or clean them as needed.
- Seal heating ducts and insulate those that run through unheated spaces.
- Install programmable thermostats in each unit and encourage your tenants to set the temperature to 68°F in the winter and 78°F in the summer.
- Seal air leaks around doors, windows and around any plumbing and electrical penetrations in walls, floors and ceilings. The best way to fix an air leak depends on its size and location. Use caulk, expanding foam sealant, crack filler or weather-stripping, depending on your application.
Water heating & appliances
- Set the hot water temperature to 120°F (49°C) in all rental units. Some dishwashers require a temperate to be slightly higher. Consult your owner’s manual for your specific model.
- Fix leaky faucets.
Recycle old refrigerators or freezers in your rental properties and get cash back. We’ll pick them up for free and your tenants could save up to $150 per year on bills.
- Use ENERGY STAR® CFL or LED bulbs.
- Receive special pricing on qualified bulbs.
- Use occupancy sensors and fluorescent lighting in all common areas.
Incentives for longer-term energy savings
For landlords with properties served on residential accounts, incentives are available for purchasing new energy-efficient heating and cooling systems and appliances, for installing energy-efficient windows, insulation and more. The landlord’s name must be on the account or associated with their tenants’ accounts to participate.
If your units have shared laundry facilities you could save month after month by purchasing qualified washers and installing energy-efficient lighting with occupancy sensors.
For more details on incentives for your property, please call 1-800-942-0281.
Property Manager tools
Try our free Business Solutions Toolkit. Our no-cost online tools can provide your business with information to help you make sound energy decisions and save money.