- Track your energy use to find ways to save.
- Gain insights into your energy consumption with these helpful tools:
- Complete a simple calculator to help understand your home energy usage.
- Weatherization services are available for customers living on low or fixed incomes.
- For California customers, see if you qualify for a 20% bill discount through the CARE program.
- Download a handy guide to saving energy in your home: Power to Save Booklet
Understanding your bill
See our bill glossary for details about energy charges and more.
What affects my electric bill?
Changes in the weather, your lifestyle and conditions in your home all play a part in determining your bill each month. Here are some common reasons your bill could be higher:
- Above-average summer heat
- Below-average winter cold
Changes at home
- New family member or house guest
- Installing additional appliances
- A change in your work schedule or habits
Electric heating & heat sources
- Central heating with an electric furnace or heat pump
- Zonal heating with plug-in space heaters, built-in wall heaters, in-floor heating or baseboard heaters
- Outdoor heating with heat lamps, heat tape, water trough heaters or engine block heaters
- Central air conditioning
- Window and portable air conditioners
Other electrical equipment
- Plug-in electric or hybrid vehicles
- Electric water heaters
- Swimming pools, hot tubs or spas
- Irrigation pumps
- Equipment such as your water heater, heat pump or air conditioner is malfunctioning and needs to be repaired or replaced
- Plasma TVs
On your bill
- More days in your billing cycle (elapsed days)